Sunday, July 20, 2008

Another Week Down

I wish I had more updates on a weekly basis, but at this point the name of the game is simply steady progress. We have made more progress, and actually are all but an official non-proift organization. We are excited to have our 501c3 application completed, a functional website, a fundraising event planned, and many great connections made in the non-profit sector. I feel like in the past 6 months we have gone from two young guys with an idea to an organization with widely recognized huge potential. Having others with vast experience in this type of work affirm our idea and progress is really exciting and motivating. We are able to see how many people are just as fired up as we are about making a difference in the lives of those who would otherwise have no one giving them a chance. I hope that after years, even decades, involved in this work, we continue to find more and more energy and enthusiasm for our work.

The pressure of my journey is becoming greater by the week, but so is the excitement. In about six weeks, I will be leaving Seattle to move all my belongings (the trunk-full that I have) to my parents house in Salem. At that point I begin the final preparations, physically, psychologically
and emotionally, to get on the plane to New York and begin my journey. One of the biggest pressures I am feeling is still the fundraising, but I am really trying to trust that if we do everything we can, we will be provided for. I have canceled two of my weekend trips in order to have more time in Seattle and enjoy time with those people here whom I can't imagine life without. That is emotionally the most difficult part of preparing to leave because I just picture how different all of our lives will be for the year while I am gone. When I return, I hope that I will be able to pick up right where I left off with everyone, despite the fact that I will have had a vastly different experience than them all.

If anyone has anything that they would like to donate to be auctioned off at our event at the SAC next month, please contact me as soon as possible at jbates@eracepoverty.org. I'm hoping that with a few items, services, or anything else available for auction at the event, we will be able to bring in a bit more money and get to our goal of $30,000. Anything will help, so please let me know if you have any ideas. I don't think there is much else to share from this week, but thanks again to everyone for your support thus far, I am so honored to be sharing this whole experience with you all.

No comments: