Sunday, July 13, 2008

It's Summer

Does Summer affect everyone else the same way it does me? I feel like I have come out of hibernation to see this beautiful world that hasn't shown itself for months, and I couldn't be happier. There are music and Summer celebration festivals seemingly every weekend in the Seattle area, and everyone is out and about with smiles on their faces. This is the kind of thing that goes missing in Southern California because sunshine is a given. Does it make the brutal other nine months worth it? That a question that I am still searching for an answer to.

Now to tell you about the developments with ERACE. First of all, I can finally officially say that I will be working with Center for Family Life in Sunset Park in Brooklyn to kick off my journey in September. While I'm there, I will spend time with all of their varying programs to get a broad view of how different programs are making a difference in struggling communities. Following that, I will be off to the Toledo district of Belize to work with Sustainable Harvest International. I am really excited to get to know the families in Belize and help them by building solar latrines, wood conservation stoves, solar dryers, and setting up organic school gardens. Both of these organizations are doing amazing work, and I am honored to be working with them and learning from them. Also, I would like to personally invite everyone to be involved in a major fundraising
event that we have just confirmed. The staff at the SAC, where I work as a trainer, have been gracious enough to host a jog-a-thon and party for us. On August 21st, myself and a lot of the other staff at the SAC will do a 12-hour relay jog-a-thon in an effort to raise money for the launch of ERACE POVERTY and my journey. Following that, we will have a Q&A social party in the cafe from 5-7pm so everyone can visit with Tyler and I, and get a feel for our vision. I hope everyone will come and bring others with them.

I had a certain feeling for the first time since all the planning for ERACE and my journey began.
I started to wonder why I feel I need to put my life, a life that I thoroughly enjoy, on hold for a year, with no thought to where I will go or what I will do when I get return. It seems somewhat maniacal, doesn't it? This has been a bit of an internal battle for the past few days. My excitement has given way to nervousness and fear a bit more as my departure date rapidly approaches. The good thing is I am surrounded by people who have more than enough excitement on my behalf to overcome. I am asking now, and will continually ask, for your prayers for proper preparation and total trust as I begin and carry on my journey.

Thanks for checking in and I will be back next week with what I expect to be more exciting updates.

No comments: