Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Start the Countdown


It's a rainy Wednesday afternoon, and I am sitting on the couch watching a movie while taking inventory of my travel clothing. By my most recent count I have 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of nylon cargo pants, 1 pair of khakis, 2 pairs of shorts, a pair of running shorts, 5 short sleeve shirts, 7 long sleeve shirts, 12 pairs of quick drying socks (most of them matching), enough boxers to last, a rain jacket, a pair of hiking boots, Chaco sandals, Toms shoes, and a pair of running shoes. All I need is a sun/rain hat (and some hair ties and headbands) and I think I should be set.

Next Friday is my last day at the Seattle Athletic Club. Saying that I am quitting my job to travel around the world and volunteer in poverty for a year is a weird feeling. Saying that I will be doing all that after next week magnifies the weirdness a great deal. The other day as I was riding the bus downtown, I started to think not only about my last day at work, but also about leaving Seattle altogether. Understanding and accepting that reality has made me start to look for and notice things and people here that I may have been taking for granted previously.

I put up a photo and video from last weekend when three of my close friends here and I went out to the Olympic Peninsula to camp at LaPush, a beautiful little coastal town west of Seattle. As it turns out, none of the four of us would stand even the slightest chance of survival if we were to become stranded on an island. The video will clearly explain that statement. We had a great time, and it was actually really nice for me to get away and let myself forget about all the chaos here.

Sorry there isn't much else to report, but we are one week away from our first event, held at the SAC, and three weeks away from our second event, a dinner at the new Portage Bay Cafe. I cannot wait to get to these events, and hopefully be able to share our vision with hundreds of new people between the two. Enjoy the rest of your week everyone, I will be back before you know it.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I cannot express enough as to how proud I am of this man (Jeff) and the cause he and Tyler are fighting! I've gotten to know Jeff pretty well over the past year and a half as my personal trainer and friend, and his passion for this mission is his life is quite honorable.

I will miss him greatly, not only as my trainer but for his sense of humor and as my sounding board!! I know that we will always be friends...

I love you man!

John Hollister said...

is she there?