Monday, September 29, 2008

Hello NYC!




It took me a little longer to do this than I had planned or anticipated, but hey, better late than never! The transition into life in New York City has been made significantly easier by the handful of friends that I have here. I am living with a friend of mine from college in Brooklyn Heights, which is really quite a blessing. I can't tell you how much at ease I feel since I didn't have to sublet a small room with other people I don't know and spend and arm and a leg to do so. Instead, I am crashing on the couch of someone I know and trust, and paying much less than I would have otherwise. Outside of that, a few other friends from college are out here and have been so great as to show me around and spending their free time just hanging out with me. Getting used to a new city, not to mention the most giant city on the planet, is so much easier and more comfortable when you are with friends that already know it.

As far as things go at the office I am volunteering at, I just completed my first day and it was great. I am so excited about my time there. I'll be working in the Adult Employment office for the next 4-5 weeks before going to the Community Outreach office. While in the Adult Employment office, I'll be working with the new participants getting them acquainted with the program and helping them establish their individual skills while figuring out how to use those skills to secure and maintain a fulfilling job. Already I have been blown away at how fortunate I have been to be raised with every opportunity to succeed at my fingertips. I cannot identify with essentially any of the clients in the office, so I am trying my best to understand that and not portray that I am passing judgment when I ask questions or offer advice. They have all been so wonderfully humble and receptive to my efforts to this point. The biggest contribution I hope to make during my time at this office is spending time with individuals and helping them realize their value as a person and really find their focus. I will have plenty of personal stories in the coming weeks that I hope you all will be able to connect with in one way or another.

This is already, and will become even more, a very enlightening and intense experience. I know I will gain such an appreciation for people in all situations and walks of life and they will teach me more than I have ever learned about myself. At so many points since I got here I have found myself thinking that this must be a dream and it can't really be my life. I'm so happy to be doing what I'm doing and I'm so happy to share it with all of you. The pictures are of my new place, notice the "closet" which consists of my big orange backpack. I also included pictures of the city and the Statue of Liberty at sunset from my journal spot, a park that is about a 10 minute walk from the apartment. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ryan Faucett said...

This is crazy. You are out there, turning our late night conversations into reality. How is the pizza? :)

Jeff Bates said...

Haha the pizza is as good as the legends you hear. It is so wild to actually be doing what we are doing man, this is what life is about! I miss you guys!