Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Preparing for Launch

Life sure is getting chaotic. I am already beginning to feel the lack of a “home” as I have now slept in three different cities in the past week, and am on the road again. I am currently sitting on the Amtrak train in Portland, Oregon, on my way from Salem to Seattle. This will be the final week I spend in my “former life” before heading off to places unknown and launching what I see as the next stage of my life.

The nice thing about being away from Seattle for the past week has been that I have been able to take a break from the emotional and psychological preparations for my departure. While I understand that those preparations are just the beginning of the emotional toll of my journey, they have nevertheless been exhausting. My friends and family have been amazingly supportive of me personally. This has been really nice, obviously, but especially as it relates to me trying to keep my focus on the implications of this journey for ERACE Poverty, and not simply my own life.

We have had some exciting developments for the organization recently. Last week we received a notification from the IRS that they have received our application and are currently reviewing it. From the time they mailed that out, the typical turnaround time is 60 days, which means we should expect to be an official 501(c)(3) non-profit organization by early November. That will be an exciting day for us not only because it will be the culmination of all our energy and time, but also because we will then be able to deal with larger foundations that offer loads of financial assistance to organizations such as ERACE Poverty.

I will soon post photos from our two fundraising events, the SAC Jog-a-thon and the Portage Bay Harvest Dinner. There is still a few open spots for the dinner, which will take place this Wednesday the 10th at Portage Bay Café in South Lake Union. Appetizers and drinks will be served from 5-6pm and then a wonderful local, organic 3-course dinner from 6-8pm. Check our website for more details and to get the number to make reservations.

No comments: