Saturday, September 20, 2008

See ya later Seattle




Well, I now officially have said my goodbyes to the city of Seattle and all the people who have made it so special to me. After pushing back my train departure twice, the day finally came and I still wasn't ready to leave. As each day ended and I was closer to leaving, I realized that I would never be ready to leave until I was already gone. Many tearful farewells with people and places have solidified the realization that Seattle is my home. I am in Portland again spending time with some close friends before I hitch a ride to Salem later this afternoon. Once I arrive in Salem, I will have about four days to spend time with my family and friends there before I get on a plane in Portland to head to New York for the beginning of my journey.

Logistically, I am completely ready, but from an emotional and psychological standpoint, I am feeling complete chaos. The denial of the situation is starting to disappear as I continue to make the real transitions. Someone presented a very interesting and wise thought to me the other day as I was letting my emotions run their course. She said that perhaps I need to go into this journey completely broken in order to get the most I can out of it. I need to take as little of my own "stuff" with me throughout each leg of the trip so that I can see things objectively and form opinions based on the realities.

I have posted a few photos from the last few weeks; one from the Jog-a-thon at the SAC, one from the Harvest Dinner at Portage Bay, and one representing my entire life moving from Seattle. Both events were very successful and I cannot thank everyone who was involved enough for their hard work and selflessness. All of the staff at the SAC was amazingly supportive of me personally and the mission of ERACE. John and Amy Gunnar of Portage Bay Cafe were so generous and encouraging throughout the whole process of planning and hosting the dinner. It was such a humbling experience to be at an event in which everyone is there to support something that we created.

So I sit here completely psyched out by it all, all while knowing that when I write again in a few days or a week I will be even more confused in different ways. Just a little something to look forward to.

1 comment:

april s said...

hugs! freund, liebe dich ich viel. :) take care of you while you're out saving the world.

-apes